Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What’s On Your Lullabye Playlist?



I’m not a major music buff or anything but, like pretty much everyone else on earth, I have playlists for a wide variety of occasions. I’ve got a playlist for exercising, a playlist for long road trips, a playlist for getting ready to go out on a Saturday night (haven’t heard THOSE tunes in a few years.. meh), a playlist for my eventual funeral (see here)… just to name a few.

When it comes to putting Em to sleep at night, I’ve got a playlist for that, too. Ever since Emmy was a tiny little baby, I have lulled her to sleep with my best renditions of songs I love. And because she is a tiny tot, with limited verbal communication, she cannot yet yell at me and tell me that I am ruining a classic, or subtly put her hand up against my mouth and tell me to “shush”.

So my current lullabye playlist includes Cyndi Lauper (True Colors), Coldplay (Fix You – I dare you to try singing this song to your baby without bawling into their hairy little head!), Peter, Paul and Mary (Michael Row the Boat Ashore, one of my mom’s favorites), Joni Mitchell (Circle Game – another one my mom used to sing to us girls all the time), and the Beatles (Black Bird). I’ve also fallen in love with EVERY song sung by Elizabeth Mitchell (wonder goddess of children’s tunes), and thus have added I’ve Got Peace Like a River, Three Little Birds (well.. this is actually a remake of Bob Marley’s beautiful hit), and Little Bird, Little Bird to my mix (hey, self, what’s with all the bird songs?).

But because my lullabye playlist consists of only about ten songs, its starting to feel (and sound) a little stale. So I am turning to you for inspiration. Can you suggest songs that are lovely and meaningful for me to sing to Em? Be kind, cause there’s NO WAY I can do justice by Whitney Houston, Barbara Streisand, Luciano Pavarotti, or anyone who has the vocal chords of a heavenly being.

I look forward to hearing from you…

No comments:

Post a Comment