Friday, March 2, 2012

100% Polyester Lovin’



Do you have a shirt that you really love,
One that you feel so groovy in ?
You don't even mind if it starts to fade,
That only makes it nicer still.
I love my shirt, I love my shirt,
My shirt is so comfortably lovely.
- Donovan

At first I thought Em was just beginning to express her own sense of style.

But I was wrong. She doesn’t care what I dress her in. I can put her in a potato sack, a shimmery gold jumpsuit, or a chicken costume and it doesn’t matter, as long as she ALSO gets to wear her pink and gray striped, totally cheaptastic, don’t-hold-it-too-close-to-a-fire-or-it-will-melt, 100% polyester hoodie.

I’m more than slightly aghast. Over the past 17 months, I have presented her with numerous viable options for a “security object” that I thought she would take a liking to: a soft blankie with smooth edging, a little cotton worm (trust me, its far more adorable than it sounds), a bear that has a hot water bottle inside it, a lamby that makes lulling, soothing sounds, just to name a few. Em has resisted attachment to all of these perfectly wonderful companions. It seems that she has been holding out for a far more unlikely, far more oddball source of comfort.

Seriously? A polyester hoodie? Every time Em wears it (which is pretty much ALWAYS now), her hair balloons into an orb of static electricity, making her look like a half-pint-sized Art Garfunkel. On the rare occasion that she is NOT wearing her hoodie, Em holds it, squeezes it, and does a little happy dance like she’s just been reunited with a long lost friend.

My husband thinks it’s so cute, this love of such an unassuming object. I agree, I really do, it’s totally adorable. But come on, Emmy. Polyester? Really?

Em’s wardrobe is full of beautiful, 100% cotton hand-me-downs from my sister’s children (which I am eternally grateful for). They are the epitome of comfort in clothing – organic, slightly worn in, and completely non-itchy. If Em has to be the weird kid (which she does, because after all she is MY child), why couldn’t she have at least chosen to emotionally bond with a slightly less offensive material?

I myself was totally attached to a blanky through many of my early (and not-so-early) childhood years. Rumor has it that as a baby I started dragging a full-sized blanket around with me everywhere I went, until my mother had the wisdom to cut it into blanky-sized quarters. It was a smart move on her part; each blanky piece had a shelf-life, and would be retired after it started to “show its age,” only to be replaced by a newer but nearly identical blanky.

I still remember my blanky with incredible fondness. It was pink, super fuzzy (highly pilled from its overuse), and had a ribboned edge that I loved holding against my face, especially at night. I swear, if I close my eyes now, I can almost feel the memory of it rubbing against my cheek…

Oh, crap.

I’ve just realized.

I’m quite certain my blanky was 100% polyester. Or acrylic. Definitely NOT 100% cotton.
Ok, Em. I give in. You can love your little hoodie. Mama gets it now.

4 comments:

  1. My now 26 year old son decided at age 3 that ALL he would wear were NY Yankees tshirts, despite the amazing clothes he had. I finally wished up and bought 4 or 5 more, he was happy, and I was leaning to pick my battles. He turned into quite the clothes horse as an adult. Even a a toddler, he knew his style.
    There was a woman on Dr. oz the other day who at age 35, still had a ratty, knotted piece of her baby/security blanket that she keeps with her, still. I guess what ever helps you thru! My boys never had a security anything. It probably isn't true, but I attribute it to them sleeping on lamb skins as babies.

    Take care..your Emmy is beautiful!
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for comments, Annie. I take comfort in knowing that Em's attachment to her hoodie may mean she will mature into a fashion-forward adult with her own distinct sense of style (here's hoping).

    I'll definitely have to look up the Dr. Oz episode. That woman's security blanket is probably a serious bio-hazard by now! I'm happy to report that I gave up my security blanket many many years ago. Now I just rely on chocolate for comfort :)

    I think the fact that your sons never needed a security object is wonderful. That's a few less things you never needed to worry about losing! I am totally envious. Sounds like you did a stellar job at parenting. If you have any other wisdom to share, I'm all ears!

    And thank you for saying Em is beautiful. She looks JUST like her Dada, so I can agree with you without seeming conceited. :)

    All the best,
    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey D.. I apologize for all of the typos in my message to you. This iPad we have with it's own idea of what I want to say gets frustrating....
    It is wonderful to see little ones personalities emerging.. Likes, dislikes, their own sense of style. Wish we could peek in their wee heads to know what they are thinking!
    Loved your adventure with Em in the supermarket...you made it fun and educational. Far better than anything I did with my boys. You don't need any advice, you are doing GREAT!
    Hugs
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks again, Annie. Yes, it is amazing and fascinating to see Em's personality developing, and to see her using her brain and heart in new and different ways every day.
      I'm so glad you enjoyed our supermarket antics. I try to encourage Em's curiosity and sense of adventure, without endangering her well-being. Sometimes it's a really tricky balance.
      And by the way (I don't know how I could have failed to mention this in my last comment) my mother-in-law just gave my husband a tiny remnant of his security blanket (from 38 years ago)in a little gift box. I almost threw it out because it truly looked like a piece of a totally destroyed dirty little rag, but luckily my husband stopped me and told me of its true value (I would have felt HORRIBLE if I'd actually trashed the thing). Wondering if I should write to Dr. Oz and book my hubby for a future show? :)

      Hugs right back,

      d

      Delete