Thursday, December 15, 2011

Last Songs, a.k.a the recurrent morbid thought that pops in to my brain ALL the TIME

Many years ago, back when I was trying to make this East Coast Girl into a L.A. Lady, I heard Brian Eno's "An Ending (Ascent)" and the first thought that popped into my mind was "Aha! Now THAT's the song I want to be played at my funeral!"
Wait... what?
Why do I do this? Why, when I hear beautiful yet somewhat mournful songs, does my head automatically go to that weird place where I start envisioning people gathered around my casket, whispering to each other in hushed tones? Why do I feel the need to come up with a playlist for my funeral, as if that is what everyone is going to be talking about afterwards, as in "Man, that was a really moving service, but the music?! Blew.. my... mind... That was the best funeral music EVER!"
It may have something to do with my more-than-the-average-bear fear of dying, which surfaced somewhere around my third birthday and hasn't left me since. Obviously, I have some weird kind of control issue and fear of the "unknown", so I placate myself by planning the soundtrack for my death party. How fun am I?
Humor me. Here are the four ABSOLUTELY MUST BE INCLUDED songs for my funel d.j.'s playlist:

1) The aforementioned "An Ending (Ascent)" by Brian Eno
2) "Rise" by Eddie Vedder (from the Into the Wild soundtrack)
3) "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys
4) "Fireflies" by Owl City

I am sure I will come up with more to add to this list, but am open to suggestions from any similarly morbidly-minded folks...

3 comments:

  1. Those are some good songs.

    Personally, I want my funeral to be a party and I'm hoping it gets kicked off with Drop Kick Murphy's Amazing Grace.

    I think I'll have them hand out door prizes too for the attendees and goodie bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hallelujia". AKA the one KD Lang sang at the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Vancouver games. They can skip the verse that talks about being tied to the kitchen chair, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathy. I absolutely, 100% agree, and will have to amend my list :)I had only ever heard Leonard Cohen's and Jeff Buckley's versions of the song (which are also so soulfully good) but I just found and listened to the KD Lang version you spoke of, and wow. I am breathless, it is so GORGEOUS. Thanks so much for commenting, and bringing this stunning performance to my attention.

      Delete