Thursday, August 8, 2013

Living La Vida Local

So, to state the obvious, I don't have much time to blog these days. Between diaper changes and trips to the potty, breast feedings and snack times, my daytime hours are fully booked. And by the time evening rolls around, I'm pretty useless (I have just enough brain power to watch The Bachelorette, which requires VERY LITTLE brain power).

So I've decided that while I wait for that moment when I have enough mental energy to write a deep, thoughtful post about this full-time parenting gig, I should probably at least use this blog to catalog my many adventures with the kiddos. I'll aim to post a picture and a brief note EACH DAY, to capture the essence of what us three musketeers together. And when that doesn't work out, I'll aim to post a picture and a brief note at least once or twice a week.

Today the kids and I attended the Grand RE-Opening of our local co-op, which just moved to a much bigger (and much more "official" seeming) location. While I will miss the quaintness of the old Honest Weight Food Co-op, I won't miss risking life and limb every time I try to squeeze our car into a teeny tiny parking space in the old parking lot. Another huge perk of the new incarnation? They have those mini shopping carts that make shopping a super fun adventure for my daughter.

Try to imagine a small town co-op/natural food store marrying Whole Foods and having a baby. That baby would be Honest Weight. Honest Weight has a cheese section that is to die for, with people who really KNOW cheese manning the counter. It is also a mecca for any Capital Region resident following a gluten-free, macrobiotic and/or vegan diet. AND they make a mock chicken salad that I think is super delicious (with tempeh and a whole bunch of other good-for-you ingredients). Despite its new "chic warehouse" appearance, it still maintains the friendly, "where everybody knows your name" feel.

So here are pics from the Grand Opening celebration. There was a man dressed like a banana. There were smoothies being made using a blender that was attached to a bicycle (which, by the way, is a brilliant way of getting your exercise WHILE making breakfast). There were some pretty amazing local bands. And a whole lot more...

Emmy checking out the scene, with a set of kaleidoscopes.

Oren lives the good life, strolling down the bulk aisle.

Emmy loves her shopping cart. She nearly ran over at least a dozen people.

Banana MAN!!!

Blender bicycle (and sleeping baby).



No comments:

Post a Comment