Saturday, January 13, 2018

The New Normal

It’s been a long time since I’ve written here. For a reason. Life has happened, and death has happened, and change has happened. Big change. It almost feels like my blog was the “before” and now I’m standing here in the “after.”

We are now a family of four. I am a single mom of three young children who lost their father to depression and an inability to cope with certain realities. I am a widow, grieving the loss of her husband but also acknowledging that I never really knew him fully. He didn’t let me. I spent ten years wondering why I wasn’t making my husband happy, and ten years wondering what was wrong with me, and how I could make things better for him and for us. Then I stopped trying, because trying was too much. And then he killed himself.

So now it is me and the kids, and our story is very different but also very much the same. Our daily routine is hardly changed. I do what I used to do. Get up. Get the kids fed and dressed and lunches packed while pouring 24 ounces of coffee down my throat as quickly as possible. In the afternoons I pick them up and feed them like a short order cook and bathe them and make sure their homework is done and get them in pajamas and talk to them about their days and sit with them while they fall asleep in their beds. It’s a steady stream of busy-ness, but it’s ok. I am now EVERYTHING for the kids. I am the bread winner, and the cook, and the cuddler, and the handyman, and the rule-maker, and the joke teller, and the bill payer, and the listener, and the mediator... I’m EVERYTHING. And that’s ok too, it is just different, and it has taken me six months to embrace this new normal.  It’s only sometimes overwhelming.

What is more overwhelming is knowing that by no fault of their own, my children lost someone who they depended on being there for them for a long long time. What is more overwhelming is that the children’s memories of their father are already fading. When I asked Ember about what she remembers about Chris just the other night, she said she only remembered a few things, and that it seems to her like daddy was maybe all a dream. When Oren had to talk about family in his class the other day, he said family is that his dad died. 

What is astonishing in all this is that the kids are doing incredibly well. They are thriving at school, they are not developing nervous habits or acting out in any unusual ways, and they are really just happy kids, laughing and playing and adjusting so beautifully to our new life. I learn from them every day. I observe them, and their ability to accept change, and their ability to continue to be themselves, and I aim for that same thing. I care for them, and they teach me.

This is our new life. It is me and my three children: my sun, my moon, and my stars.




16 comments:

  1. That's really something to live with, that your husband killed himself because he couldn't stand seeing you every day. Do you think you can find a way to blame it on Donald Trump so you can live with yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear anonymous prick, This is my first time reading this post and also the first time reading your comment. I know this is five years late, but I feel someone should have said something by now. You have no idea the pain that this family must of went through. For you to take a shot because of politics when this family lost a father and husband is beyond deplorable. The family doesn’t deserve this. You should be ashamed of yourself.

      She was sharing her experience to help others. I can tell you that her sharing the experience has helped me greatly.

      I hope over these past five years you have found a way to be kinder to all.

      Delete
  2. Hey D, since you have your sun, moon and stars in your corner and you in their corner the only place to go is up. Love you❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I follow you on twitter and saw this blog. First I wanted to express my condolences on your loss. I commend you for being strong in the face of such a tragedy and then to bear the task of becoming a single momma. My 4 yo daughters nickname is mooshka too and was just wondering where you got the name for your blog. May you and your lil ones always be well and in good spirits.

    Al Hart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That is a ot to deal with. Hugs from Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your bravery in sharing your story. I just stumbled upon this after seeing your Twitter and getting a laugh from the Wendy Wasserman name. My wife took her own life while she was waiting for help at the hospital. Our daughter was 3 at the time. Sadly, my daughter can´t remember her mom, but 10 years later, she is a bright an wonderful young lady. I don´t know if you will ever this this message, but if you do accept a big hug from the beach in Mexico and feel free to visit us at Casa Carmen Maria if I ever get my building permits, or even if I don´t.
    Matt Randolph
    www.facebook.com/casacarmenmaria

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry �� I am amazed at your strength. If I can help let me know I can PayPal you ��. You're so amazing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you and God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry. Please understand this is not on you. Depression, sadly, has that effect. My deepest condolences on your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "What is more overwhelming is that the children’s memories of their father are already fading."

    I need to change my life. I have young kids who will forget me if I died today. I could be so much more involved.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unfortunately, you can understand why the poor chap chose to off himself. He was married to this disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too just stumbled upon this after seeing your Twitter and I’ve been reading some of your posts, I’m literally in tears & my heart is aching for you and your children. Thank you for sharing your journey with us, stay strong!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm also in tears, as a father dealing with hard times, times are difficult, nothing you could do or have done to change the person who chose to selfishly do whatever it is that they wanted to do. But you are a ray of light to continue on and be everything for yourself and children. I commend you! <3

    ReplyDelete